Wednesday, September 28, 2011

One Week Old






We cannot believe that Natalie is already one week old; the time is already going so fast.  She is such a sweet little girl.  Of course she cries and fusses, and there are times when it's hard to figure out what she needs, but it's pretty amazing how the love you feel for your little one completely supersedes any difficult situations.  I can't believe how instantly that has occurred.  

At her check-up today, we learned that Natalie has already surpassed her birth weight.  The doctor was a bit concerned last Friday at her first doctor's appointment because she had lost nearly a pound in two days.  However, today she weighed 7lbs and 11oz - gaining 15oz in 5 days - which the doctor said was triple the rate of expected weight gain!  Go Natalie!  I guess I don't have to worry so much about whether she is getting all of the nutrition that she needs.  It's amazing how easy it is to be anxious about each detail of your child's life; it is a good opportunity for me to trust the Lord.    

Natalie has had many "firsts" this week.  She's had her first bath, first doctor's appointment, first walk (in the Ergo baby carrier - that thing is great!), among other things.  She's also had her first projectile vomit, and her first projectile poop (at 5am) on Mama! :)  Again, it's amazing how attached and bonded you become to your child; all I could think during the poop episode was, "Poor Natalie!"  Taylor and I both felt such love and concern for her.  It's really quite inexplicable until you have a child.  I never thought I would feel such a depth of love for a little person.  

Natalie is starting to sleep more regularly, but I don't expect a linear progression.  She gets up every few hours to eat, but thankfully is starting to sleep for longer periods of time in between feedings.  A few days ago, she slept for four hours in a row, and I felt this superhuman strength the next day.  Four whole uninterrupted hours!  I've been reminded by various friends to really treasure the late-night feedings, and I do.  I love my time with this little one.  And if we fall asleep together on the recliner, that's just fine. :)

I can't neglect to mention my parents and the absolutely huge help they were to us over the past week.  We didn't have to think about anything but the baby.  They cooked, cleaned, shopped, gardened, took care of Hallie - we had no responsibilities except for caring for our little one.   We were so blessed to have them here, and it was evident that they are almost as in love with Natalie as we are.

3 comments:

K said...

I remember when BB was born I just kept thinking "I didn't know I could love like this." :)

Steve & Hannah said...

Adorable!!! So so fun to read about your first week with your daughter!! Isn't that bond amazing?! We love & miss you guys!

Heather said...

She is soo adorable. That picture of her and your mom looks so much like Taylor as a baby! Love and miss you guys lots!!