Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The Big Day has arrived?


Well, we made it to the due date...and nothing!  Even though I knew that it was unlikely that Natalie would be born by today, I guess I was still hoping that she would be.  I guess the main thing to remember is that I've had a healthy pregnancy so far, and that there's nothing to indicate that she won't come when the time is right.  It's amazing though, the mind games that you play as you wait for such a big event.  I mean, first of all, it's still just hard to believe that we will have a BABY!  Despite all of the preparations, it just seems so surreal - especially when I'm feeling so good and labor doesn't seem all that imminent.  Which is I guess what scares me a little bit...I want to feel like this baby is going to come soon!

During the third trimester, I've thought a lot more about my Grandma Jean.  I really wish she was still alive so that I could see her enjoy her great-grandchild.  That's hard sometimes.  I do take comfort in the fact that she is at peace in heaven.

A few months ago, I wrote Natalie a letter (part of an ongoing effort to write to her consistently) detailing some of Grandma's qualities that I hope she develops.  I included:

Generosity
A great laugh and smile, and an ability to laugh at life
Kindness
Faithfulness – she called me every two weeks
Empathy

It's fun to think about specific ways in which my grandmother demonstrated these qualities.  I think of various trips to Walmart, her uncontrollable laugh/snort when she really got going, her phone calls, her willingness to talk about difficult things and be emotional, and her wisdom about life.  When you grow up calling a person "Grandma," you often forget that they are so much more than just that (as is true with parents).  Not only was mine a wonderful gift of a grandmother, but she was also a blessing to many people, idiosyncrasies included.  

Below are some pictures from the shower that I was given in Tucson.  It was such a blessing; I am so thankful for the friendships that have bloomed and grown in Arizona.





Lots of mamas at this shower!  I think there were three babies at the shower, and several others who stayed home with their dads.

No comments: