Natalie is such a joy to us. We are so thankful for our darling 8-week old. I had no idea that being a parent was going to be so rewarding in just a few short weeks of life. I really thought it was going to be a lot more terrible than it is! Remember how I talked about the ominous "life will change" comments? Well, sure it has, but even in the difficult moments we are reminded of the beauty of this new life. We are so, so thankful for her.
Taylor's parents finally got to meet Natalie this past week. It was lovely to have them here; I think I will appreciate parent visits more and more as our family grows. :) Not having to think about cooking and having lots of help is always appreciated!
I happened to catch on video this fun little moment of Natalie in her "activity gym," as they're called. She loves looking at the animals hanging above her, and I decided to video it. At first, I talk in the video about how sometimes she grabs at them, but what I neglect to say is that it always seemed purely coincidental that she managed to touch them. However, in the video, she seems to intentionally grab one of the animals for the first time! I was pretty excited, so I sound rather ridiculous.
Anyway, she now grabs, holds, and touches the animals very intentionally. These smallest steps of development are so exciting. On one hand, I had been feeling so emotional about how quickly my baby is growing up. This had always seemed so cliche and weird to me when others said these things about their tiny children, but I now understand. You want to hold on to these beautiful moments forever, and the idea that Natalie continues to grow was hard. However, I am now seeing how very fun these changes are as she grows more alert and interactive. What a strange tension - wishing your child would never change, and yet loving each new phase.
Some opportunities for family pictures...
We went to the Tucson Botanical Gardens with Al and Deb. Natalie did well in her stroller, sleeping, eating, and then sleeping again!
And...a garden update. I really struggled with whether or not to do a winter garden. Of course I wanted to, but it was the absolute last priority in the midst of a very stressful and tiring newborn season. However, I realized that the beauty and creativity it provides for me made it necessary. Four weeks after planting seeds, I now have lettuce, arugula, leeks, green onions, cilantro, parsley, radishes, and carrots sprouting. I absolutely love tending the garden - it doesn't take much, at this stage - and enjoy what I call my daily "garden gaze." To see the miracle of life in plant form is still wondrous to me, even if it is less than the miracle of my daughter.
2 comments:
Every good SLP is thrilled by intentionality!
I just love your blog and updates! The pictures with Al and Deb are beautiful.
I am often amazed at typical development, as I spend most of my time discussing atypical development. The fact that she is progressing SO much and intentionally gazing, looking, touching, reaching - it's all so amazing! I can already tell that you and T are fabulous parents, not that I'd suspect anything less. :)
Post a Comment