As of 10/6, Natalie weighed 8lb, 8oz (54th percentile), and was 21.5 inches long (86th percentile). That means she grew 2.5 inches in 2 weeks! Wow! Her head circumference was 36cm, putting her at the 49th percentile.
Sarah and Andy came to visit Natalie. It was such a blessing to have them here! I feel very thankful for siblings who traveled across the country for a weekend just to meet their new niece.
Things I am Learning
1. I can type one-handed (right now!) and sing Natalie to sleep.
2. I can eat cereal with my non dominant hand and breastfeed simultaneously.
3. When you have a newborn, planning your day is rather pointless. This is hard for me. I am learning a new set of priorities: a cup of coffee in the morning, a shower, eating. In that order.
4. Coffee makes the day look so much better.
5. About a month or so before I gave birth, I wrote about solitude/silence for our church devotional.
You can read it here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SPEvTkiDZqBZwtFO9NLmljdVSBiUF3L-gaZqap4ug2s/edit?hl=en_US
At the time of writing it, I knew it was something I needed to work on; Taylor and I had been having an ongoing conversation about my constant need for activity. :) Peripherally, I sort of thought that it might become very relevant when Natalie arrived, but it wasn't something I focused on. Well, my days are FILLED with solitude and silence now. It is a challenge for someone so used to multi-tasking! While I love my time with my little one, I do struggle somewhat to feel...purposeful. And then I remind myself of what a blessing this time is. It is fascinating to see how the Lord was preparing me for this time.
By the way, Natalie is now sleeping in the Moby wrap...I definitely did not type all of this one-handed :)
4 comments:
Yay for future playmates!! ;)
Yes, mommyhood in general, and especially the newborn days, is a different kind of busy. The newborn days are a quiet busy. You are busy with a person, rather than with things, and so it feels different. At least, that was my experience. I'm going to read what you wrote for the devotional right now!
Oh, and I love the one-handed typing and cereal-eating! That's how we do things over here too :)
Okay, seriously, last comment, but what you mentioned about being a multi-tasker and finding it difficult to just rest reminded me of something a friend said in a blog post (of course, right? :) ) that really struck a chord with me (as a fellow to-do-list-multi-tasker):
"[Joy] could be...right in front of me, and I'm brushing it aside so that I can do what I think I need to do so I have time to experience some joy. So, I'll do myself a favor. I won't brush it aside. Because at the end of my race to joy is more road and less joy."
I just like how she said it.
I love what you wrote for the devotional friend, something I need to learn for sure.
Totally relate to everything you said! Natalie is such a doll!
Post a Comment