This morning we first went to a French bakery and enjoyed almond and apricot croissants. We parked about ½ mile from the Monterey Bay Aquarium and walked on a bayside path to the museum. I saw calla lilies growing wild and asked Taylor to take some pictures. As he was doing so, I realized that the “rocks” I was looking at on the beach were actually about 100 harbor seals! We couldn’t believe it. They were hilarious, frolicking around and working so hard to move…with so little result.
We had heard so much about the aquarium, and it did not disappoint. It used to be a sardine cannery, and it was converted about 30 years ago. They’ve done a great job maintaining the factory feel while adding the appropriate modern touches. We saw sea otters, giant octopi, sea horses, jellyfish, penguins, flamingos, and even got to touch some of the animals. Well worth the SIXTY dollars that we spent to get in!
After a half day wandering around the aquarium, we found a decent restaurant on Cannery Row to get some fresh fish. Feeling full, we headed back to the car, checked on the harbor seals, and took a nap in the car. I continued to nap while Taylor drove around and took pictures of various points on the shore line.
Back in the hotel, we’re getting ready to go to a yummy restaurant called Passionfish that I learned about before we left on this trip. It’s supposed to be one of the best “foodie” restaurants on the peninsula, with innovative menu combinations, sustainable seafood, and reasonable prices. Stay tuned!
Update: We just returned from our dinner. If you ever visit Monterey, go to this restaurant! I had an amazing butternut squash chowder with lime cream, mahi-mahi with bok choi, wasabi apple/jicama slaw, and a ginger-soy green onion rice patty. Delicious. For dessert, I had churros and chocolate with a toffee/banana/walnut mousse. Taylor had a delicious smoked rainbow trout with a braised vegetable salad and a Meyer lemon panna cotta with orange vanilla sauce for dessert. Everything was done perfectly, and I will definitely go back to this place if we ever return to Monterey.
No comments:
Post a Comment