Thursday, September 12, 2013

And...we're back!


After a long blog hiatus, I hope to be back to blogging more consistently!  I'm toying with different ideas for how to use this blog, but for now, I'll just do my normal thing.


Today we went to Nationwide Children’s Hospital in Westerville to get an ultrasound of Julia’s hips.  The pediatrician was concerned about the clicking she heard when she rotated Julia’s hips.  The ultrasound showed that her hips are just fine – praise God! – but the more amazing part of the story is what happened in the waiting room before the appointment.

I was waiting when a woman about my age entered with her 10-month-old daughter, who looked like she might have Down Syndrome.  I couldn’t take my eyes off her; she was so sweet.  I finally decided to introduce myself, hoping it wouldn’t come across as rude to the other mother.  “Excuse me, I don’t mean to be rude, but does your daughter have Down Syndrome?”  With a brilliant smile, the mom (whose name was Ciera), said, “No, but she does have another rare chromosomal disorder.  How about you?”  I introduced Julia to her and confirmed that she does have Down Syndrome and is 2 months old.  She asked if I had any other children, and I mentioned Natalie.  She stared at me for a moment, and then asked, “You don’t live in New Albany, do you?  In the [our development]?”  I smiled and said we do.  She laughed and said that her friend, Maurnie, had told her about me.

You see, about 3 weeks ago, I took the girls for a walk (in our amazing new double stroller!  Love that thing.).  I met Maurnie, one of the very few neighbors I’ve met so far, and after she continued to comment on how tiny Julia was, I decided to tell her that Julia has Down Syndrome.  She was extremely nice, and after learning I was new to the area, she wanted me to stop by her house later to get babysitter recommendations/phone numbers (something I completely forgot to do). 

It turns out that Maurnie had told Ciera about Julia and I.  How amazing is it that God orchestrated all of these events so that I could meet this cheerful and kind mom, who already knew about me.  There were so many little details that “just worked out.”  We exchanged phone numbers and have already been in contact! One of my concerns in going to the Down Syndrome support groups is that it will just be one big griping session.  I am just really hoping for a friend who has an overall positive outlook on this experience.  Goodness knows I don’t always feel super positive, but I don’t want to surround myself with that. 

This experience was also really encouraging because last night, I went to bed discouraged, and prayed that the Lord would continue to remind us of his presence and provision for us, as He had done so clearly previously.  What a swift answer to prayer! 

In closing, on a practical note – you know how I always say I hate insurance?  Well, I don’t any more.  Thanks to United Healthcare, our $41,000 NICU bill will only cost us $750.  I am so grateful for this!!


Nat's best buddies here in Columbus.

Fun at the park in the butterfly gazebo.


Natalie decided all her "dotties" (dollies) need tummy time.  She placed them next to Julia and said, "Ready, set, go!"

  Such a proud moment!  We haven't started physical therapy yet, but look at her hard work!

No comments: