Thursday, January 06, 2011

Welcome, January

I never thought I would welcome the end of the Christmas season, but this December was a month I was happy to put behind me. Christmas was just not the same this year. With all of the interruptions, I did very few of my usual holiday traditions: no baking, no Advent calendar, no Winterhaven. Part of it was that between traveling and studying for finals, I didn't have the time, but I also didn't have the energy. It's hard to watch "everyone" else enjoy the season while you mope along.

But, enough of that. I'm beginning to find ways to grieve both my Grandma and my dog that don't suck the life out of me, and that is truly a blessing. One thing that really helped this was going to a Christmas Eve service at an old Episcopal church in Peterborough, NH. The traditional liturgy soothed my soul, which was aching for reminders of why Christmas is a joyous season. The music, the candlelight, and the retelling of the birth of Christ helped me to remember what is true.

So yes, we went to New Hampshire for Christmas. (Note: we flew across the country THREE times in six weeks: is that not crazy??) It was wonderful to be with the Shipmans and to be part of their (non) traditions. Just relaxing and enjoying the snow.

Cross-country skiing: the kind of skiing I actually like, despite the temperatures in the teens.

Baby Silas
You know that scene from the movie "Elf," where Buddy is talking to the mailroom guy after inadvertently having drunk a bit too much? That is what this scene reminded me of.

Can you find Silas?

After NH, I flew to Ohio for a few days, and then met my sister and her husband in New York. Here she was having a meaningful conversation with a friend...

No comments: