Saturday, January 22, 2011

Homemade and home-grown

Winter is our gardening season, and I am proud of our efforts this year. It was a first attempt, but our garden has done really well. Nothing satisfies me quite so much as being able to eat straight from our garden.

We had friends over last night, and it turned in to a celebration of home-grown food.

Our appetizer of carrots, fresh from the garden. You can't necessarily see it in this picture, but this variety is a beautiful ruby red on the outside with orange flesh on the inside.

Home-grown lettuce, and home-grown and shucked pecans from our tree.

A tart containing home-grown swiss chard. Here's the recipe:
http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/swiss-chard-sweet-potato-feta-tart-teff-crust.aspx
All agreed it was delicious!

The swiss chard. I think this plant is just beautiful.

And, no meal is complete without Aunt Gussie's homemade rolls.

Taylor's improved china cabinet. He's been working on this for awhile, and here is the beautiful result. He added alder wood to the top, bottom, and shelves.

1 comment:

K said...

I'm so jealous of your flourishing garden!! Everything looks amazing! And the china cabinet looks beautiful too!