Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Under Construction

The Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences building, where I work, is being renovated.  It's a wonderful thing.  Our building has long needed an update, and the changes are vital to ensure that we continue to do the best work possible.  The end result will bring many needed changes: new paint, new rooms, new technology, and new furniture.

The process, however, is painful.  Particularly painful is the fact that most of the renovation is taking place on the floor directly below my office.  Drilling, hammering, and loud bangs occur with such ferocity that I cannot hear myself talk.  I am not exaggerating.  Even worse is the fact that the noise is inconsistent.  Yes, that means it's not always occurring, but it startles me each time it begins.  This is particularly trying when I'm with a patient and have to move to another room in the middle of  a session.  I literally jump at each sudden drilling.  It's really starting to affect me.

Has anyone picked up on my metaphor yet?  Taylor and I are in a season of construction, and it is really, really difficult.  We are exhausted.  We have no down time, as every moment is full of Natalie, work, school, packing, or trying to find something to eat.  We do our best to get some sleep, but we are surviving on coffee.   The end result of all this will be that we will be getting a vital renovation to our lives, one that we feel the Lord has directed.  But we are in still in the process, and it is jarring.  It has not been a sprint to the finish: it has been a marathon, an ultra-marathon.  I feel my attitude sinking lower and lower, until I remember the importance of connecting with God, and the knowledge of His sovereign grace in our lives. 

Of significant comfort to me is that in March, when we embarked on this journey of selling our house and moving across the country, the Lord spoke to me at church and said that we would be entering a dark time, but to hang in there; we are doing the right thing.  I cling to that promise when I start to feel an impending nervous breakdown.  The Lord has also provided verbal encouragement and comfort from many friends who "happen" to be specifically praying for us just when we feel at the end of our rope.  Stay tuned...

2 comments:

K said...

Love you friend. Also, please come over for dinner lots once Taylor leaves - we will make a weekly plan okay? Archer will like having his friend Natalie over to play.

Kirsten said...

Love you Christine and praying for hope, sustenance and peace and against the darkness.